About Me

My photo
Hi, I am an adorable, blonde, blue-eyed young man. I had Medulloblastoma - cancer. I had a successful resection of my brain tumor, completed six weeks of radiation, 15 months of chemo, and countless surgeries and therapies as the result of treatment effects. These entries journal much of my treatment and progress. I have come a long, long way and I am doing awesome today! Feel free to read and share my story.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

I was finally released from the hospital Thursday. I was getting okay sleep but my parents were getting none. They decided it would be best for my healing process if they were well rested too. I had planned to stay a bit longer to benefit from the rehab services, but Phoenix Children's Hospital (PCH) wasn't really doing much as far as that goes. I really need to work on my swallowing and the speech therapist rarely showed up. Since as an outpatient I'd have scheduled appointments, we thought the physical therapists, occupational therapists and speech therapists might actually show up for those and maybe I'd get more rehab time in than when I was actually at the hospital... we'll find out.

When I got home Thursday I slept all afternoon and even into the next morning... I guess I needed more sleep than I thought! Then I felt like doing some simple errands with my daddy. My mommy was hesitant to let me go, but my immune system isn't compromised yet and I wore a mask every where to avoid picking up other people's germs. I LOVE toys and mommy and daddy bought me more over the weekend. I'm getting too many really.

I love being around my sister and my little dog Buggy again too.

Oh yeah, I also had my first radiation appointment Friday afternoon. It went well, but it looks like they'll be putting me under every time since I get really scared and wiggle too much. That's okay, the anesthesia is not as strong as I thought it was going to be. I wake up pretty quickly after the event. Also, my mommy has me on five bolus feeds during the day now. No more night feeds. Since I'm being fed through a tube, we really have to coordinate my feedings with my whole schedule. I'm tolerating a lot in one sitting though, so I'm lucky. Some kids get sick off of the formula feeds and have to do long feeds which means they are tied up to the feeding machine all day. Now I have six weeks of radiation at 6:30 am Mon-Fri. Can't wait till it's over! I will have a four-week break and then I'll start chemo.

Well, until next time...

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to hear you are at home. I am sure it is an adjustment but comforting to be in your own house. We are pulling for you guys EVERYDAY and thoughts and prayers are sent every night. I am glad to hear he is happier to be home with his sis and pets. New toys are always welcome I am sure! Sending LOVE LOVE LOVE and more LOVE. Hugs. Les

    ReplyDelete