About Me

My photo
Hi, I am an adorable, blonde, blue-eyed young man. I had Medulloblastoma - cancer. I had a successful resection of my brain tumor, completed six weeks of radiation, 15 months of chemo, and countless surgeries and therapies as the result of treatment effects. These entries journal much of my treatment and progress. I have come a long, long way and I am doing awesome today! Feel free to read and share my story.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

On Monday morning, radiation did not go off without a hitch... the doctors could not access my port, so they tried to give me an IV which didn't work either. After being poked five times and endless screaming, the anesthesia doctor decided to give up and send me over to my oncologist without my radiation treatment. It's extremely important that you don't skip any days in your treatment, which meant I'd have to return at two in the afternoon. Thus, we went to see the oncologist and the nurse there accessed my port immediately with no problem. Not sure why they couldn't earlier. There may have been a clot and the high blood pressure from screaming may have finally unclogged it. Anyway, it works now and my mommy will never let them try to give an IV again. She'll just bypass all that traumatizing mess and make them get the port working. I mean, that is the point of a port.

So after the oncologist accessed the port they took a blood draw and all my counts are looking good. I also went upstairs to remove the last undissolved stitch on my head from neurosurgery and my mom discussed the possible long term effects of Posterior Fossa Syndrome with the NP there. Then it was back to the oncologist again for more talk then drive all the way home, hang out for just a bit, and all the way back for my rescheduled radiation appointment. Ah, what a day!

I handled both of my radiation treatments on Friday and Monday quite well. However, today was day three of rad and I'm a bit more lethargic now. I guess it's catching up with me. That or waking up at 5:30 am.

This afternoon I did some speech and physical therapy exercises with my mom. I'm pretty good at lifting my legs, but I'm not too excited about sitting up on my own. Mom also decided to remove some of the gummy tape left on my head from the surgery scars. It was not a pleasant experience. Needless to say, I got two new hot wheels today. They are race cars and I love them.

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.

2 comments:

  1. Ethan,

    Wow....what a day! I would be screaming too...I mean one can only take so much. I know you did the best you could. I hope tomorrow goes more smoothly and that your feeling better with a good nights' sleep. I am sure your Mom and Dad need a good nights sleep too. I am glad you got some cool new Hot Wheels. Your cousin Tyler loved Hot Wheels at your age and I think that we collected over 200 by the time he moved on to other things. I will have to see if I can find them as i know he would love to share them with you and Brynn. I hope to come visit soon. When you are feeling stronger and Mom and Dad are ready for company I will come see you. Your cousins miss you so much and say prayers for you every day. They are amazed by how hard you are trying and your positive attitude. Much love to you. xoxoxox Aunt Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete