About Me

My photo
Hi, I am an adorable, blonde, blue-eyed young man. I had Medulloblastoma - cancer. I had a successful resection of my brain tumor, completed six weeks of radiation, 15 months of chemo, and countless surgeries and therapies as the result of treatment effects. These entries journal much of my treatment and progress. I have come a long, long way and I am doing awesome today! Feel free to read and share my story.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Hi,

Last nite my nose was very clogged from all the bloody noses, so I was forced to try and breathe through my mouth. This was actually a very good thing for me, since it had been so long since I've pushed any air through my mouth. Try talking without any air passing through your mouth - not easy. I wouldn't breathe through my mouth upon request prior to last nite. Thus, after a night of breathing through my mouth I woke up and started speaking much better! Granted, my tongue usage isn't the best yet, so my annunciation needs some work, but at least it's louder, a bit clearer, and not so nasally! I'm on my way!! As the day wore on, I became more tired and I tried to revert back to nasal talk, but with a little provoking I will still use my mouth. It's awesome, because communication is a bit better and anything helps. Every bit of progress is very encouraging.

Although I only puked once today thus far, it was a whole meal. Darn, oh well. I'm also fairly tired even though I haven't had any therapies. Hopefully, I feel a little more upbeat tomorrow. I have speech after radiation therapy at 8:30 am. I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks again to everyone for their kind words, thoughts, prayers and encouragement. I enjoy reading your comments and hearing from you all.

Love, E

2 comments:

  1. Wow...what great news! We forget how the breath helps with words and that is why singers do breathing exercises. So glad sweetheart. Keep it up! I am so proud of you for working hard every day even when you are tired, sick, or maybe just angry when all the docs and nurses have to poke you. I can't wait until you get your walker...you will be cruising around on your own soon! Glad Uncle David is close enough to get to see you often. He does have the ability to make us all laugh and as they say laughter is the best medicine. Love you...hugs and kisses to mom, dad, and Brynn. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It's amazing how you are able to turn a negative (bloody clogged nose) to a positive! So, you are learning that your voice works better when you breathe through you mouth. This is a good thing! Now that your mommy knows you CAN do it with effort, she is gonna be your biggest fan and encourage you everyday to use those skills again! You are so lucky to have such loving parents backing you with support! You will realize this more when you are older. Right now I am sure you feel like everyone is nagging you, but really they are encouraging you. So keep up lil' one! Sounds like you are doing better everyday! We love you E! You too Nik! :)

    ReplyDelete