About Me

My photo
Hi, I am an adorable, blonde, blue-eyed young man. I had Medulloblastoma - cancer. I had a successful resection of my brain tumor, completed six weeks of radiation, 15 months of chemo, and countless surgeries and therapies as the result of treatment effects. These entries journal much of my treatment and progress. I have come a long, long way and I am doing awesome today! Feel free to read and share my story.

Monday, July 19, 2010

From Mom:

Ethan's been in the hospital since Wednesday night. He developed an infection caused from bacteria in the line of his port. This is common, but life threatening. Fortunately, we caught it right away and took him to the ER at the first sign of malaise. He had a high temperature initially, but has not had a fever or showed any further symptoms since checking in Wednesday night. The doctors are taking his infection very seriously and won't let us check out even though he appears to be doing super great. It's unbelievably frustrating. Protocol, procedures, you name it - they just won't let the little bugger out! As of today, they're talking about releasing him tomorrow and we'll continue to administer his antibiotics at home.

As usual, we are frustrated with the hospital. I think I've mentioned before, I feel like each doctor there is great individually, but the system at the hospital is lacking. Seems like every hour a new doctor is assigned to Ethan, which of course makes us weary of any decisions they make for him no matter how skilled they are. He has a Neuro Oncologist assigned to him in the clinic who has followed him through the whole process, and while we are happy with her skill level and care, it's very frustrating that she is not the assigned doctor in the hospital setting. She is informed and has influence, but not always calling the shots in-house. We may not always agree or like what she has to say, but communication with her only would truly be ideal. So many mixed messages and different viewpoints come across when we discuss our son's care with five different doctors in less than a week. I realize it's probably this way in every hospital, but it just seems crazy. Trust issues arise. If we were billionaires I'm sure we'd have our pick of doctors and could have just one doc assigned too... but we're not.

On top of it all, we're now having a few issues with our Neuro Onc. I think this is because we are parents that question every call and it's hard for the doctors not to take a personal offense and assume we are questioning their abilities. However, the last thing I want to worry about right now is whether or not my son's cancer doctor likes me. Oh well, I suppose we'll jump this hurdle eventually too.

So, we're shooting for release tomorrow. Ethan did not go to rad on Thurs, doctors wouldn't let him because of infection, so we made it up today. Thus, he has graduated from radiation!!! Yay!!!! Utah trip is off, but we should find some alternative, fun plan for Ethan to enjoy by next week, hopefully.

Wish us luck!

3 comments:

  1. Ethan,
    You are beating the infection and I am happy that you were able to get your treatment so that now you get a small break( I am sure mom, dad and sis want to have some "normal"time. Crazy time for your family with the big move coming up and finding new doctors and such...I can't even imagine how stressed out this make everyone. But...one day at a time. I talked to Grandma last night and she said that you are getting wheels on your walker soon . It will be so good to get your legs strong again. Thank you for the beautiful picture of you and Brynn. Love to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ethan, I am so sorry you are back in the hospital. I hope you get to go home tomorrow. Take care buddy. Nikki if you need anything let me know. I would be more than happy to help with anything. Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you guys, sorry to hear about this set back... Nic I am sure you are beyond frustrated in the hospital's protocol and I know you will get through it. I see above mention about a big move... So I hope that is what we spoke about last time we talked and all is falling into place. I am glad to hear you guys will have a break too from the intense schedule you have been following. Hang in there, we are all pulling for you guys! Your family has been in our prayers every night since I heard the news. Love you guys! xo Les

    ReplyDelete