About Me

My photo
Hi, I am an adorable, blonde, blue-eyed young man. I had Medulloblastoma - cancer. I had a successful resection of my brain tumor, completed six weeks of radiation, 15 months of chemo, and countless surgeries and therapies as the result of treatment effects. These entries journal much of my treatment and progress. I have come a long, long way and I am doing awesome today! Feel free to read and share my story.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Check up - no chemo.

Hi,

We went in Thursday for counts and, although Ethan was low, he did not need any platelets or blood. His white blood cell count was lower than usual and you can tell he is a little weak, as he is not walking as much (assisted), and seems a bit shakier overall. Usually, by this time he's doing much better, but it could change any day now. We're guessing the cumulative effects of chemo are taking hold.

On the upside of things, he drank milk from a straw today!!! This was an amazing feat for him since he has refused liquids all this time. He just hasn't had the muscle strength in his cheeks to do it but things are obviously getting better. He is eating a lot more variety now too. Cereal, ice cream, etc. These were all things he had too much trouble with before and wouldn't even attempt them. So yay, he's doing better and better!!! The right side of his face definitely has more and more expression too. The left probably does as well, but we don't notice anything obvious. We are with him everyday though, so it would be harder for us to notice subtle changes.

I'm still trying to push him really hard to get up and around with his walker. I have also started making him dress himself again. It takes him a really long time and it's in a seated position but at least he can do it most of the time.

He still has a couple more weeks before he has to check back in to the hospital for the next chemo cycle, but we'll continue to go in to check counts on Thursdays.

Thank you all for your encouraging words and support! We love and miss you all. Have a great week!

Nic & Fam

2 comments:

  1. Oh yay! Milk and a straw!! I am sure he was happy to do something he was able to do before and accomplish it. What great news! Hopefully more and more movement will follow with this breakthrough. I am happy to hear it. We will keep praying for the speediest of recovery's and better days ahead. Stay strong and keep the updates coming. Miss you! Love you. Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing....all of you and the positive steps forward. Does Ethan like Ovaltine? I used to feed Ryan Ovaltine from a bottle and he loved it....extra vitamins and extra delicious from a straw. So happy when I get updates....thanks all and God bless

    ReplyDelete