About Me

My photo
Hi, I am an adorable, blonde, blue-eyed young man. I had Medulloblastoma - cancer. I had a successful resection of my brain tumor, completed six weeks of radiation, 15 months of chemo, and countless surgeries and therapies as the result of treatment effects. These entries journal much of my treatment and progress. I have come a long, long way and I am doing awesome today! Feel free to read and share my story.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

First Chemo Cycle Dose

Here we are at the hospital. Ethan has been doing really good with just one, minor vomiting experience thus far. If he continues to do well then we will be released tonight at 9:00pm. The chemo was given over a six hour period last night, following two hours of hydration. He slept through most of it, aside from having to wake to go pee every hour. He has been very snugly and sweet all day.

I ran into Ethan's favorite doc, Dr. Maze, in the hall. Afterwards, I told Ethan he might drop by to see him and Ethan pointed to his fingernail and laughed. This was because Dr. Maze had promised Ethan he could paint one of his nails on his last day of radiation. Because Ethan got a port infection and radiation was delayed, he never got to do it. Ethan remembers everything! (For those of you who don't know, every time I paint my nails Ethan requests that at least one of his be painted too.)

Dr. Rosenfeld went over Ethan's recent MRI with me yesterday. There was a little enhancement in the tumor bed cavity, but that could just be some scaring. We will know for sure over time. She also went over some right-sided facial atrophy. It looks as though he has not been using his facial muscles on the right since surgery. Neither the neurologist, neurosurgeon, radiologist, or ENT docs can explain it. Hopefully, Ethan regains the use of that side eventually. The ENT dr thought it would be 6-12 months before we know for certain. Our doctor will present this development to the tumor board tomorrow to see if anyone has any ideas regarding the cause.

We are very happy to be almost done with his first in-patient chemo stay. Very happy that it has gone so well too.

Thank you to everyone for all your positive thoughts and prayers. Love you all!

Nikki

2 comments:

  1. Hi there sweetheart... I have missed a few posts. Sorry. I have been working some crazy hours and can't always get on the computer. I read all the posts and am so glad that things seems to be moving ahead. I am happy that you had a break and some time to enjoy yourself and get out on the town. I am thrilled that you are making good use of your walker. I knew that would be a great thing for you. I know it is hard to get back to chemo...but you are that much closer to being done. Keep up the good attitude and keep working hard. It is great that even though you can only take small amounts of ice cream and pudding...it is progress!!! I bet it tasted fantastic! We miss you so much. I hate being so far away. Your cousins love you and can't wait until they can get out to see you. I hope the move goes smoothly...it is never an easy thing to do especially when you have such a busy schedule. Love you sweet Nephew.

    Auntie Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nikki - good news on his first stay is what we were praying and wishing for!

    We are so glad to hear that things have been rolling well, especially since this is uncharted territory and you had no idea what to expect with the chemo.

    I am sure that was an additional stress factor in all of this. Glad to hear Ethan slept through most of it. The less he has to be present for, is a slight comfort on your end I am sure.

    I think you have been amazing and super positive with all that your family has been dealt. I sum it up to UNCONDITIONAL love. Keep the posts coming, and know, you have a ton of people pulling for all of you!

    LOVE LOVE LOVE you!

    Big Hug - Les

    ReplyDelete