About Me

My photo
Hi, I am an adorable, blonde, blue-eyed young man. I had Medulloblastoma - cancer. I had a successful resection of my brain tumor, completed six weeks of radiation, 15 months of chemo, and countless surgeries and therapies as the result of treatment effects. These entries journal much of my treatment and progress. I have come a long, long way and I am doing awesome today! Feel free to read and share my story.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Check Up:

Went in for Ethan's weekly check up and his out-patient vincristine. The check up went smoothly. His counts were fairly low, but not enough that he needed any transfusions today. We will have to go in again on Monday to check again. We don't want his platelet count to go below 30-50 and today it had already dropped to 84. Brain tumor patients are more at risk for a bleed so we have to keep the platelets up.

Ethan hasn't been vomiting as much as he usually does. Perhaps I've finally figured out a way to lesson the nausea. He has been fairly tired the last couple days, his right eye is a little gooey and less responsive, and he has a bit of a head tilt. These symptoms always come around when counts are low. Thus, we're getting pretty good at guessing what Ethan's counts will be based on how he looks and feels. I guessed 9-10 for his hemo and it was 9.4 today. He'll definitely need transfusions at some point next week.

Aside from the above, he is playful and in good spirits. We went to the zoo after his check up and spent most of our time looking at the smaller monkeys. Ethan never wants to stay very long, but it is still nice to get the kiddos out into the fresh air.

Whelp, I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday season. We will post again after each check up.

Love, Nic & Fam

No comments:

Post a Comment