About Me

My photo
Hi, I am an adorable, blonde, blue-eyed young man. I had Medulloblastoma - cancer. I had a successful resection of my brain tumor, completed six weeks of radiation, 15 months of chemo, and countless surgeries and therapies as the result of treatment effects. These entries journal much of my treatment and progress. I have come a long, long way and I am doing awesome today! Feel free to read and share my story.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

*Working on Walking*

We've been here in WA a few months now and have accomplished a lot. Ethan just wrapped up first grade and is enjoying summer time. While it's not quite sunny, it's still nice to relax a bit more. He continues to have lots of appointments, despite the fact we're already almost a whole year post chemo!!! He's been meeting with his new physical therapist for just over a month now and it's going great. Right away she noticed he was a bit too bendy (over-stretching) and ordered some orthotics to straighten him up a bit and help him stabilize. They should come in next week. We're hoping he can use those with a cane to get around. That is quite a step up from the big, clunky posterior walker! Also, she's reinforced and motivated me to work with him at home. Low stress exercises like yoga, standing games, or even sitting on the bosu ball while playing wii. Ethan also practices taking steps all on his own (no walls, walker, furniture, etc. to hold him up). He can get about 4-5 steps before he gets a little psyched out by it all but he is doing amazing, of course. I am so happy for him! His new school is really close to us and he's made a few good friends. I have to admit, he's not as excited about this school as he was his San Antonio school, but we're hoping 2nd grade will be better. This upcoming Monday, we go to Seattle Children's Hospital for a second opinion on facial reanimation. Yesterday, he met with the neuromuscular team at Madigan, here on JBLM. They will help to make sure his needs are met in the social and academic arena. It's good to have a little guidance and encouragement on our side. In a couple weeks, he'll go in for another MRI and scheduled blood work. I'll post the results. In summary, Ethan continues to move in a positive direction. Keep our little guy in your prayers, he is doing so well with all your help. Best to you and yours, love to all!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear positive steps! He / your family have literally become part of nightly prayers. So, hopefully all the more helps! Miss you! xoxo Les

    ReplyDelete