About Me

My photo
Hi, I am an adorable, blonde, blue-eyed young man. I had Medulloblastoma - cancer. I had a successful resection of my brain tumor, completed six weeks of radiation, 15 months of chemo, and countless surgeries and therapies as the result of treatment effects. These entries journal much of my treatment and progress. I have come a long, long way and I am doing awesome today! Feel free to read and share my story.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Getting Settled

It has been a really, really long time since I've posted. Ah, but finally, here it is. Since the DC trip, we have been busy. Ethan continues to do amazingly well. He practices walking all on his own! Just a few steps at a time now but progress is progress. He also adjusted really well to going full days at school in San Antonio. In late March, our house was packed up and we started our journey to WA. We visited several family members along the way and had a great time. We've been here at Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) for a couple weeks now and we are all settling in nicely. The weather is quite a change. It was high 70s, low 80s in San Antonio when we left and it's pretty much in the 50s here daily. It sure is beautiful though. There are an amazing amount of trees here. Our neighborhood is quiet and beautiful, too. Again, Ethan is adjusting really well to school. Although he misses his friends and helpers in San Antonio a great deal, he's getting to know his new teacher and assistant and enjoying it. He has yet to start up PT again, but should be getting in within the next few weeks. Since he is really getting strong, we feel he could benefit from physical therapy right now more than ever! He has a lot of doctor's appointments on the horizon; eye doctor, surgeon (for port removal), pt and neuro eval, etc. Before we left San Antonio, Ethan had an MRI. They did spot something down in t9-t11, but I have been assured not to be alarmed. It is likely just an enlarged vein. They have noticed it before, without mentioning it, but this time it was more prominent in the scans. They are not concerned enough to order an unscheduled MRI, so we will follow up on it in a few months at his regularly scheduled time. They will order thinner slices to get a better look. I have to admit, I was a little freaked to hear about it when they initially called to notify me of the results, but it was a hectic time (packing and hitting the road) and I was a bit more stressed than usual. However, since meeting with Ethan's oncologist here, I've calmed down a bit and realize they have to inform us of anything they see even if it is little to be concerned with. Ethan's oncologist here doesn't seem to think it is necessary for Ethan to keep his port in any longer either. That will keep him out of the hospital if he gets fevers from common colds, flues, etc. In summary, progress, progress, progress. We couldn't be happier about all Ethan has overcome. Ryan has been busy in-processing and has yet to start his actual job but hopefully will be able to soon. I wish I could say I have done a good deal of unpacking, but I haven't! I keep finding other things to occupy my time... In essence, all is well. We hope the same goes for all of you. Thank you for staying tuned in and love to you all. <3 Nikki

3 comments:

  1. Nikki,

    This is wonderful to hear. I am so glad to hear about his progress!! Great job Ethan! One day at a day..dont worry about the unpacking it will take time and it will wait..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting! I am always happy to hear how great things are going! Progress is good! Love and miss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so thrilled not only with the amazing progress and great fortitude, but also for your new start in Washington. I am sure it is amazing. I am glad that everyone is settling in. It would be great if I could get out there before your next move! You all just keep rocking and rolling. You are amazing. Love to you all.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete